Associations
My journey is continuing and the first part is rapidly coming close to the end but the learning can’t stop there and it won’t. For the month of March the topic for discussion is associations to synagogue, rabbi, and to organized religion in general.
To start the discussion on this topic I am going to go back to childhood when I was Christian. I was raised Reorganized Latter Day Saint, now the Community of Christ, and did all the things I was supposed to do, baptized, confirmation, Sunday school, etc. I remember week after week having the pastor stand up and lecture us. I never bought into the whole scenario and never felt like it was doing anything for me so I just went through the motions like I was supposed to. The church first and foremost was a business and then a spiritual guide for the lack of a better description. As a young adult and an adult you could very easily say I was jaded and not religious at all but I did maintain my belief in G-D.
Now my journey and where I am at now. To say a lot has changed within me would be a total understatement.
My association to my synagogue. I love my synagogue, it is my refuge after a long week of work. I find peace and community there every Friday night at Shabbat services. It is the perfect way to end the week and bring in Shabbat. I feel welcome when I am there. I feel like a part of a community. I feel that learning, worshiping together, and just being together are the most important part of the synagogue. Most importantly to me I feel like I am home. I was welcomed even before I started my journey. It is the backbone on my journey and without it I know it would not be as meaningful and I would not be getting out of my conversion what I needed to for me.
My association to my rabbi. Rabbi to me is a teacher, a friend, a confidant and a spiritual adviser. I feel as if I have a great relationship with my sponsoring rabbi. I have learned so much from our talks and just observing. I look forward to our monthly meetings to chat, ask questions, get some answers, and she can listen to me babble on. My one regret is that my decision to convert came during her last year. I would have enjoyed and learned a lot from her about Torah and Tikun Olam. I know I could go to her with any problem and have a friend to talk to and someone to give advice or help me to look in the right place to find my answer. She wouldn’t give it to me she would make me look for it. I think that is one quality I admire most in my rabbi, she is always willing to help but she will not do it for me but instead will help me find it on my own. New relationships with my rabbi will have to be forged but I am all right with that.
My association to institutionalized religion. A year ago I would have said institutionalized religion equaled business, now not so much. So far on my journey I would have to say that in Judaism institutionalized religion equals learning and community. I realize that is a broad sweeping statement but from where I stand and what I have seen the business aspect takes a back seat to teaching and learning and being a community. I want to go to services and learn and be engaged and that is what I get and that is why I am choosing to be Jewish.
No comments:
Post a Comment