Well it is the last day of Pesach aka Passover so thought it would be appropriate to update you on my holiday. This was my first year of really participating as a Jew so it was different and a challenge.
I flew to Milwaukee for the Seder with my partner and spent the time with family. Arrived early Thursday morning to help get the chametz all moved to the basement and the Pesach kitchen wares moved upstairs. It is a lot of moving and how she kept it all straight I will never know but I am sure a lifetime of doing it helps. In the past years I would passively participate meaning at home I would eat matzah and skip all the chametz because of my partner but if i was at lunch I would eat what ever I wanted. Kind of the out of sight out of mind philosophy I suppose.
This year was different and an eye opener to say the least. There are so many things you cant eat it is hard to keep track of them but I did my best. It was very difficult to eat meals out. My partner stayed in Milwaukee with his parents so I was left to fend for myself and navigate the chametz. Let me tell you old habits die hard because one morning I went to get my coffee and got my normal oatmeal too. As I was taking my last bite the light bulb went on.
The Seder held a lot of meaning for me this year. In years past it was interesting to a point but mostly a means to dinner but this year I understood the whole story and the purpose. I was told the philosophy of Judaism is to always look to the future but equally important to remember and "relive" the past so that we never forget the trials the we as a people endured.
The one aspect of Pesach that I really enjoyed was the time with family. I got to visit with family members that I have not seen in a few years so it was great. I also got to meet some new friends at the Seder and got to experience it all for the first time really as a Jew. Next year I am sure will be a little easier as I become more familiar with the food restrictions and the customs and of course Hebrew!
Tonight to end Pesach we are going to friends house for some good food and friends!
No comments:
Post a Comment