Well it is official, I am now officially Jewish. I had my beit din today and I will admit that I was a nervous wreck. I was ready for it but still, my fate so to speak laid in the hands of three people. The whole time I was in with them my hands were shaking and I had to fight back tears at times. There were so many things I wanted to say but thought about after the fact. One question that was asked was basically what am I going to do to leave my mark on the Jewish world? I talked about paying it forward with help and kindness and knowledge but I forgot to talk about the program I want to start with the next conversion class for mentors to help them out if they need it. I still plan on working to implement that but I was so nervous I forgot.
After they came back with a yes I was so relieved, excited and kind of in shock. We went into the sanctuary for a ceremony where I held a torah for the first time and was given my Hebrew name which I picked out, David Shi (Shi is in honor of my mother whose name was Shy Anne). I just started crying wishing she could be there with me in person but I know she was there with me.
I then had my bar mitzvah practice. I know crazy right? I didnt need to do it but after some wonderful words it really inspired me and I want to do it. So since I cant thank them in my speech at my bar mitzvah I want to thank Rabbi Harris and Rabbi Levin for all the help and support even if you didn't know you were doing it.
I still have more on my journey indeed, because as a wise Rabbi told me everything up to my decision to convert was part one of my journey, well I just finished part two (well I have a few assignments to finish up) and then to decide what part three will bring.
Oh, goodness. You are welcome. Our community is stronger thanks to your participation.
ReplyDelete