Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Happy Tu B'Shevat

Well another Jewish holiday is upon us so it is time for me to learn a little about it and let you know what I learned.  Today on the Jewish calendar is the 15th day of the month of Shevat and that is exactly what Tu B'Shevat means but it is the new year for trees in Judaism. 

According to the article I read it is when the early blooming trees in Israel come out of their winter sleep and start to wake up for another year.  I do not know if this is actually true but I liked the images that it conjured up so we are going to run with that.  It actually is used for aging trees so that you know when you are allowed to eat the fruit of the tree.  We are commanded in Leviticus 19: 23-25 that we are to tithe the fruit of the tree to G-D on the fourth year and after that year the fruit is ours to enjoy.  So this is how the new year for trees came to be. 

In the United States it is a little difficult to plant a tree because much of the weather is bad and it is still winter so what to do to commemorate the holiday?  Well when talking with my Rabbi about how to honor the day she suggested learning about it and then enjoying some fruit or trail mix but the most important thing was to just make sure to make it different from the rest of the days.  So that is what I did and I found it to be most enjoyable but in reality I can not wait to be living in Israel and plant my first tree on Tu B'Shevat.

No comments:

Post a Comment