Let me introduce myself, my name is David and I am going to be taking you on my journey as I convert to Judaism. I was raised reorganized latter day saint and never really felt at home there or comfortable in my skin there so I only went to church because my grandmother wanted me to. The teachings never spoke to me so my faith was very lacking but dont get me wrong i am a very spiritual person was just not a fan of the organized religion.
My partner and i moved to kansas city in 2001 when he got a teaching job here at the jewish day school. He went to the bar and bat mitzvahs and i did my own thing. He had work friends here and they became my friends too and then they became our framily (friends and family) and a wonderful support system. I settled into the role of the non jew and welcomed celebrating the holidays with my framily and enjoyed learning the reasons behind them but never felt the need to convert.
That all changed! Danny spent 3 weeks in Israel last summer (2010) and you could tell how home sick he was for it. Then I decided that i needed and wanted to convert to get that feeling that i was missing. Then this past summer (2011) I got the most amazing gift a human being could ever want. Danny's dad and mom who over the 11 years have become my dad and mom took the family on vacation! All 11 of us met up in Israel, well 7 of them live there but that isnt the point. I got to go to Israel! I can not even begin to explain the emotions that went through me in preparation for my journey to what is now in my heart home. The packing, the buying of books for the long plane ride, the excitement of going someplace new. When the plane landed at Ben-Gurion airport in Israel everyone clapped for joy and i felt it as well. I walked off the plane for what seemed like eternity and the whole time thinking I am home. I was tired and so very energized and wanted to go go go! I was the last family member to arrive and could not wait to seem them all again, for the members that live in Israel it had been 3 years + since i had seen them and I missed seeing my nephew and my nieces! I was so happy to get to them all and hug everyone and just sit and talk, even though they are all fluent in hebrew and would slip into it on occasion it didnt matter because i was in Israel with my family.
The next two weeks were amazing! Danny and I went to so many wonderful places and saw so many amazing things and as each day passed I knew this was and will always be home in my heart. I am crying just thinking about it and how much i miss being there. There were so many beautiful places there so many spiritual places there i was sad, happy, in awe it was just a very emotional two weeks for sure. I only have one well actually two regrets from that trip. The first regret is that i was never able to take my mother to visit Israel because she had always wanted to go but she passed away from cancer but I know she was with me in spirit and was as much in awe as i was. The second is we never made it to Masada which is one place my mom always wanted to go. We will go and we will climb to the top to watch the sun rise and i will say a prayer on top of Masada for my mom next time I am there.
But back to my journey. So now i am back in kansas city and needing and wanting to convert what does a person do. I called a rabbi at the synagogue where danny teaches and she gave me some information on the community conversion class and it actually started that week. Rabbi Harris and i scheduled an appointment to meet in a couple of weeks and i went to class. If it is at all possible after talking with Rabbi Harris i was even more energized and excited about my journey and looking forward to the work and the learning and the homework! I am really starting to feel alive again in my soul!
The classes are wonderful. we have learned about the high holy days that are fast approaching and the history and the reasons for them. the class is quiet, including myself, but i am sure we will start speaking out more as we get more comfortable. We travel to most of the synagogues here and our speakers are the rabbis from the community so it is very well rounded.
Danny and i go very regularly to shabbat services on friday night at congregation beth torah and i look forward to it all week. to me there is no better way to end the work week then with a wonderful service with song, prayer and learning from the torah and doing it all with a wonderful community of people! thank you to them all for making me feel so welcome there.
Thank you for joining me on my journey!
David
No comments:
Post a Comment